Yes, it is recommended that you change the utility bills to your name; however, it is not mandatory to change them ASAP in case it does not fit your schedule. You need to go to each of the utility companies in person and take required documentation with you in order to be able to process the change of name on the bills. There are two types of utilities in Mexico: those linked to the property and those linked to the owner/resident of the property. Water and electric are linked to the property, while utilities such as Telmex and Megacable are linked to a person. If you do not wish to continue with the utilities linked to the owner/ resident, you should request that they were cancelled prior to the closing. Invest Mazatlan offers a reasonably priced service of helping new owners process the required changes to the utility bills and set up new utilities for their property.